Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I'm from the Lou and I'm proud...of gooey butter cake!

If you are from St. Louis, you know what I'm talking about. Four simple words:

ooey
gooey
butter
cake

By far, this is one of my favorite desserts in existance, so I made one. And, yes, I cheated and made it with a boxed cake mix. The reality is I had to make it for a dinner and forgot untill WAY late in my Saturday plans, otherwise we would've started from scratch. Also, sorry for the lack of pictures. I was scrambling around like a crazy face!

Note: Aunt Kathy, make this. You'll love it.

With all that being said, Ooey Gooey Butter Cake is a soft, yummy, yellow cake gooey explosion, and here's the recipe:

INGREDIENTS

Bottom:
1 (18.5 ounce) package yellow cake mix
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Top:
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners' sugar

DIRECTIONS Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Mix cake mix, melted butter or margarine, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 2 eggs with a spoon. Pat into a 9 X 13 inch pan. Mix cream cheese, 2 eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla with an electric mixer. Slowly beat in confectioner's sugar. Pour over cake layer. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Cool.

Here's What I Got:

Two parts goo, One part delicious:


Pouring the yummy cream cheese mixture on top of the cake mixture:


When you are done with that, make sure you get in on that cream cheese deliciousness:


Bake till golden brown around edges, sprinkle with powdered sugar, and ENJOY!


Here's What I Learned:
- I will cook 5-8 less minutes in my oven, that sucker overcooks quick!
- Apparently, according the the group I made this for, the cake is delicious dipped in chocolate fondue!
- I love St. Louis

Hope you enjoy! Thanks to those of you who have sent me recipes...keep 'em coming!

Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

THANK YOU for this recipe. It's been so long since I've had gooey butter cake and obviously the people on the east coast could learn a thing or two about food. I mean, come on...no toasted ravioli??

Lara said...

Kara, this was sooooooo good. We loved your effort!!!! Not a Saint Louisan, but a big fan of the cake!! Thanks for sharing!

Jessi said...

oh that's just soo stinking tasty. what's really sad is that i'm still eating what is left over! there wasn't much but i keep sneaking a bit every once in a while!

Kara said...

That's Semi-homemade!! This sounds delicious. I am from the Lou too and I am very proud!

Alanna Kellogg said...

Well hi there -- welcome to food blogging! If you'd like to link up to all the St. Louis food bloggers, drop me an e-mail. I do my best to keep up with all the new ones (sooo many in the last 3 months!).