Here's the recipe (found here):
3/4 cup milk
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1 teaspoon salt
1 pound ground beef
2/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk, cheese, oats and salt. Add the ground beef, mixing well, and form this mixture into eight miniature meatloaves. Place these in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. In a separate small bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar and mustard. Stir thoroughly and spread over each meatloaf. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes.
What I did Different:
- I used seasoned breadcrumbs instead of the oats. My mom has always made it this way, so I figured go with what you know!
- I used colby jack instead of cheddar. I shredded it off the block, rather than use the bag stuff
- I eliminated the mustard, not my favorite flavor
- I, DUH, put it in muffin tins to bake
Here's what I got:
The mushy gushy ugly meat goodness:
I spooned the meatloaf into tins. The recipe makes 15 mini meatloaves:
For the topping, just mix together some ketchup and brown sugar:
Here they are finished. It only took about 30 mintues to cook:
Sorry I don't have a picture of them on a plate. We had to rush to the hospital that night to visit one of my boyfriend's students. We ended up bringing them the meatloaves, cream cheese mashed potatoes, and cheesy rice. They loved it!
What I Learned:
- Things look cute in muffin tins
- Adding green pepper and onion was a good idea, it gave it more flavor that the recipe called for. I used my new "mini food processor" from aldi to chop up the veggies and it worked great! I stored left overs in a freezer bag. I will use them when I make a BBQ chicken pizza.
- I'd make this again!
I hope everyone is having a wonderful February!
Thanks for stopping by!