Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Pasta Al"fake"o

Call me fat and happy! I have fallen into that trap of being in a great relationship, and enjoying great food together, and not enjoying my weight gain. So I went on a rampage of produce, protein, and light food shopping. Now my fridge is full and there are no excuses for not cooking, or updating the blog for that matter!
Last night I got home and decided to throw together a fake Alfredo sauce made with The Laughing Cow light cheese wedges. These things aren't really as wonderful as nice, real, yummy cheese, but they do make for a great sauce! I've seen this recipe all over the place, so I'm not quite sure who to attribute it to.

All in all, al"fake"o sauce is NOT as good as the real thing, and even after years of eating it, I'm still trying to get used to whole wheat pasta. But this was a great dish for one, and so filling I thought I was going to EXPLODE! Although it did remind me of a frozen dinner, I think I'll make it again. It's quick, simple, and healthy.

Here's the Recipe:

Sauce:
- 3 light Swiss Laughing Cow cheese wedges
- 1/2 Tablespoon margarine or butter
- 1 Tablespoon Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup skim milk

Combine all in a sauce pan and stir until smooth, might take up till 20 minutes. Pour over pasta

Pasta:
- Eyeballed amount of whole wheat pasta you think you can eat
- Water
- Salt
Cook according to package directions

Others:
- Steam fresh broccoli in the microwave
- Pre-cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast

Combine into pasta, after heating each in the microwave, or any other method you desire

Here's What I Got:
All the goods for the sauce:


The rest of the dish:


I kind of love the look of steamed broccoli (please notice my Amish Friendship Bread started in the background. This is an upcoming blog post):

Whole Wheat Pasta, cooked and ready to go:
The sauce:
All together now!
What I Learned:
- I don't like garlic powder, and I would've rather just used fresh garlic, I'm not sure why I didn't
- This is a good fast "I live alone meal" and I'll make it again
- I LOVE FRESH PRODUCE! I'm in such a better mood when I'm eating healthy fresh veggies and fruits. In fact I'm snacking on blueberries, blackberries and strawberries as I type! yum.
Thanks for stopping by!
~Kara

5 comments:

Lara said...

Kara,
I made a huge batch of faralle the other day for a salad. I was wondering how to use the rest of it up. Thanks for the idea!!

Lara

KELLY said...

Sounds good. I bet that sauce would make a tasty stovetop mac & cheese!

hayden said...

I just found you through Bakerella...great recipes! I look forward to shopping around :)

Robynandwes said...

I found you through bakerella, too! I am pretty excited to read through your recipes. They seem pretty beginner-friendly.

Unknown said...

The bf and I made our own alfredo sauce to go over fettucini. We used half and half and grated mozzarella cheese and threw that in a skillet along with frozen peas and cooked. it was so good. probably not as healthy as yours, though!