It's one of those recipes that is made with love, and it makes me smile every time I make it. One of my mom's dearest friends, Janet, died last year of breast cancer. She was a wonderful woman who was up for anything. She didn't want to miss out on a good time. She was kind-hearted and genuinely interested in the well being of those around her. She loved her friends and family, and apparently she loved to cook. This recipe comes from a cookbook her daughters put together of their favorite recipes made by their mom, Janet. My mom also got a copy and we've been hooked on this coffee cake ever sense.
Baking is about so much more than just the taste.
Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- 2 Sticks of butter, softened
- 2 Cups of sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp of vanilla (I usually add a little more)
- 8 oz of sour cream
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 Cups flour
- Dash of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix first four ingredients together, creaming together butter and sugar
- Add in remaining ingredients. (I stir in each cup of four individually)
- Once batter has formed, pour into greased 9x13 pan and smooth out evenly, batter will be thick.
- Generously sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon on top of batter
- Cook for 35 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean