I went to the grocery store this week, after swiftly returning to weight watchers post-holidays. I bought tons of fresh meat and veggies with ZERO plan of what I was going to make with them. I wanted to do something on the lighter side, and being that I'm very much a beginner in the kitchen, I thought I'd give fajitas a go.
Here's what I made:
-Chicken Fajitas with onions & green peppers
- Pico de Gallo creation
- Mexi rice with Corn
Here's what I got:
Some of the elements. I love when I actually have fresh produce!
In a pan I grilled together:
- One garlic clove minced. I used the trick I see on food netowrk where they smash the garlic clove with the side of a large knife. It worked wonderfully.
- 2 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts thawed and cut in strips
- Half of white onion, sliced
- One large green pepper, sliced
- Cumin, Cayenne Pepper, and S&P, to taste
While the chicken was cookin' I got to working on my fajita fixins.I had tomato, onion, and cilantro. So I figured I'd mix that up with a little EVOO to make a little pico de gallo. Next time, I will add chilies and lime juice.
I also shredded some spinach leaves and grated half a block of colby jack cheese for toppings
I got those ready on plates so the boyfriend and I could fix ourselves dinner "buffet style." I microwaved flour tortillas for 15 seconds.
Here's an assembled fajita. I topped with reduced fat, or lite, sour cream.
All rolled up and ready for eatin'!
We finished the plate of with mexican rice. I can't lie, all I did was buy "mexican style" Rice a Roni and added in a can of sweet corn. Next time I'd like to conquer the rice on my own and make it taste a bit more like it does at my favorite mexican place!
What I learned:
- Next time I will prepare a marinade for the fajita meat and let it sit for a few hours
- I will add chilies and some spice to the pico de gallo
- I might experiment with wheat or other types of tortillas
- It was delicious to put a little bit of rice into the fajita, which really just makes it more like a burrito "california style"
All in all this was a YUMMY meal, and I stayed on plan with weight watchers and used only my allotted points for the day. Even cooking healthy can be quite delicious!
Thanks for stopping by!