Friday, January 11, 2008

Spaghetti Squash, I just can't make up my mind...

I know I'm late to jump on the bandwagon but tis the season for healthy eatin so....I made spaghetti squash for the first time and it was quite the easy process, after I got the darn thing cut open! I'm just no so sure I'm hip to the flavor. I'm thinking it's not the squash itself that is putting me off. It's what I put on top.

I topped mine with butter, salt, pepper, and some Parmesan cheese. What do you think would be better? Tomato based sauce, Italian dressing? What do you put on your spaghetti squash? I'm thinking a garlic and olive oil sauce with tons of chopped up cooked veggies could be yummy. I saved the leftovers, I think that's what I may do.

Here's what I got:

That's one big squash!


I cut the squash in half length-wise. This would have been very comical for someone to watch. Luckily, I live alone.


Here's what all the guts look like.


According to the directions that come on a little sticker when you buy the squash, I placed in a dish, cut side down, with 1/4 cup of water, covered with plastic wrap and microwaved for 1o minutes. You can also bake, but I was on my way to bowling with friends so there was no time!


You spoon out all the seeds and goop and then pull the sides off with a fork. It shreds out just like pasta.


What I learned:
- Get Saucy! I have GOT to put something else on here besides just some Parmesan cheese.
- Ask for help! What should I put over all this squash?!

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Lara said...

Kara,
What about sautéing spinach, garlic and onions in a little EVOO? You could toss it in with the squash. Or, how about coating the squash with a little EVOO and adding some chopped tomato, fresh basil, oregano, garlic (not cooking the sauce) and the Parmesan cheese? Just some things I do for pasta.

Big Life, Little Blog said...

I've eaten this with an Alfredo sauce before...